Northstar canoes are produced based on decades of experience both paddling, designing, and building high quality composite canoes. They offer a lineup of renowned hull shapes designed for a variety of conditions and activities on the water. They offer exclusively composite canoes, which can offer the highest performance, lightest weight, best durability, and greatest longevity in canoe materials.
Northstar Canoes have developed a few different lamination options, each one designed with maximizing particular desired characteristics from the different materials used. What follows is a more detailed description of each layup they offer (not all options are offered for all models), which can give better context when exploring their solo and tandem models.
NORTHSTAR CANOES BUILD MATERIAL OPTIONS
- BlackLite: Proprietary carbon outer with Aramid reinforcements. Combines the stiffness of carbon fiber and the excellent tensile strength of Aramid. Northstar’s full wet vacuum bag and foam core allows them to artfully balance strength and weight. This layup is for those that want significantly greater durability than StarLite, yet value a lightweight canoe. Exterior resin coated for maximum weight savings.
- StarLite: All Aramid. Northstar’s proprietary yellow and black makes a stunning moiré pattern. Full wet bag minimizes resin and creates the lightest weight canoe available. Foam core, ribs and internal reinforcements make a stiff, efficient hull. The choice of flat-water paddlers everywhere. Exterior resin coated for maximum weight savings. This lamination is a great balance of lightweight and durability.
- Stealth: Carbon and Black Innegra co-woven outer with inner blanket of proprietary yellow and black aramid. Northstar’s lightest lamination at the expense of some durability, a dream for wet footed portaging. Only available with E6 carbon trim and E6 parts: canoe weights reflects E6/E6 savings. Stealth is lighter than StarLite and has lower impact resistance. Many options are not offered with Stealth including: skid plates, adjustable seats, third seats, and kneeling thwarts.
- IXP: Substantial Innegra with an inner blanket of Aramid. Innegra has excellent impact absorption, great flex and good abrasion resistance. A full wet vacuum bag makes a durable, reasonably light canoe. Multiple layers of Innegra with no foam core or ribs means a canoe capable of extended river tripping and expedition whitewater. An extremely durable lamination with far better performance than Royalex. Exterior resin coated because gel coat chips and cracks when subjected to substantial impacts.
- WhiteGold: Polyester outer, Innegra middle, and with Aramid reinforcements. Only available in Northstar’s ADK series. Exterior Color: ruby or emerald.
NORTHSTAR CANOES CATEGORIES
This section contains the solo options we offer from Northstar Canoes. The hulls range from recreational, to day-tripping, to long expedition hulls. This is the category to check out if you are looking for quality hulls to get on the water with by yourself.
It can be great sharing time on the water with someone. Sharing that time in a canoe, whether on day trips exploring your local waters or multi-day expeditions through some famous trails, can help create lasting memories. Northstar Canoes offers a range of tandem canoes, each one tailored to excel in slightly different conditions/waters, with some even accommodating the occasional solo trip.
Have more questions? Let us know!
Want to know more about Northstar Canoes? Hear from first hand experience what they excel at or how we can help you customize them to your ideal setup? Or maybe looking for a model we don't have listed on the site? Reach out and we'll be happy to help you get on the water with your first, or next, canoe!
You can call the shop during normal business hours at: 727-545-4554, or press the Contact Us button to leave us a message through our contact form. There you will also find our address and business hours, if you would rather to stop by the shop and see everything in person.