Wenonah has a 50 year history of making quality canoes with nuanced designs catering each canoe to a particular set of conditions, then offering each hull in a variety of materials, allowing paddlers to craft the perfect canoe for what they want to do.
Below you will find some classifications of canoes, that will lead you into a selection of models. Before you begin looking at models, lets cover materials for a moment:
- T-Formex : This recently introduced material is the replacement for Royalex. It offers durability, hull memory, and weight similar to that of Royalex. This material consists of ABS plastic layers inside and out, with an ABS foam core sandwiched in-between, integrating floatation throughout the hull. T-Formex is the most durable of materials offered by Wenonah, but also the heaviest. This material is currently only offered in a selection of hulls at the moment.
- Tuf-Weave Flex-core : Tuf-weave is Wenonah’s proprietary blend of 50% Fiberglass / 50% Polyester. Wenonah’s Tuf-weave hulls are incredibly durable for composite material, with added durability from the outer gel-coat applied. The gel-coat can be applied in a variety of colors, and with this inside of the canoe being sprayed to match. This layup is lighter than T-Formex, and available for most of Wenonah’s canoes. Tuf-weave will be the most resilient of composite layups.
- Kevlar Flex-core : Kevlar Flex-core hull utilitzes the outer gel coat as Tuf-weave, but supplementing Kevlar for Fiberglass. Kevlar offers the advantages of cutting down weight, while stiffening the hull, allowing for a more responsive hull in the water. Kevlar Flex-core uses multiple layers of Kevlar, making it more resilient than Kevlar UL. This is the layup if you want to keep the weight down, but up the durability.
- Kevlar UL : This is the lightest weight hull layup Wenonah offers consistently across their lineup. This layup features a single layer of Kevlar, reinforced with foam ribs and core, laminated in with Kevlar in key areas to add strength. Kevlar UL creates a stiff canoe hull which is responsive on the water, and incredibly lightweight to portage.
- Graphite UL : This layup is offered selectively across the Wenonah lineup, particularly with performance hulls. Graphite offers a negligible weight reduction over Kevlar UL, but does create an even stiffer hull, granting hulls better efficiency and responsiveness on the water. Graphite UL canoes also have a layer of Kevlar applied to the inside of the hull, to increase resilience.
- AI UL : This layup offers a combination of polyaramid, Innegra, and Kevlar. The Innegra is a high-tech fiber which offers high flexibility, providing for enhanced impact and puncture resistance. The Innegra is interwoven with the polyaramid to form the outside hull. Then the inside of the hull is backed by Kevlar and a foam core for additional stiffness and flotation. The hull has either a white or smoke gel-coated bottom for hiding scratches and to offer additional protection. This layup is developed for paddlers who want a lightweight hull, but also a more robust hull for challenging conditions.
- IB UL : This layup offers a combination of black aramid, Innegra, and Kevlar. The Innegra is a high-tech fiber which offers high flexibility, providing for enhanced impact and puncture resistance. The Innegra is interwoven with the black aramid to form the outside hull. Then the inside of the hull is backed by Kevlar and a foam core for additional stiffness and flotation. In some cases, the hull has a white gel-coated bottom for hiding scratches and to offer additional protection. This layup is developed for paddlers who want a robust lightweight hull.
To learn more, and see all models available, click on the canoe image to go to its page.